- Fake Facebook Powerball jackpot Picture becomes viral
- Verizon HTC One Release Date still in contention, no longer denied by HTC; AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile confirms HTC One release
- Blackberry 10 Release Date: RIM rewards developers with new test device – Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha C
- Lumia Smartphones are available with Nokia Maps
- Apple iPad Mini and iPad 4 beats Microsoft Surface and Google Nexus 10 in sales figures
iPad’s only news app ‘The Daily’ will shut down in next few days, News Corporation confirmed this news today on Monday, December 3, 2012.
‘The Daily’ iPad news app was launched in February 2011 and will supposedly drop this month. It was not a free and was priced at 99 cent per week and 14 cents for a day. The Daily boasts 360 degree images and HD news videos.
This was quite a kind of expected news as the newspaper ‘The Daily’ started losing readership just after a few months of releasing the app.
The Daily iPad app was considered as blend of modern technology and traditional journalism along with the multimedia content. It was also considered as a industry-saving step. After great ado and much delay this iPad app was launched in a grand even at Guggenheim Museum in New York.
What went wrong with The Daily iPad app is still unclear but reportedly News Corporation lost around $30m a year on this app.
Rupert Murdoch gave his statement saying
“From its launch, The Daily was a bold experiment in digital publishing and an amazing vehicle for innovation. Unfortunately, our experience was that we could not find a large enough audience quickly enough to convince us the business model was sustainable in the long-term. Therefore we will take the very best of what we have learned at The Daily and apply it to all our properties. I want to thank all of the journalists, digital and business professionals for the hard work they put into The Daily.”
‘The Daily’ iPad app will shut down on Saturday, December 15, 2012.